how to,

How to make Vegan Massaman Thai Curry Spice Mix

February 24, 2020 S Malik 7 Comments

Vegan Massaman Thai Curry Spice Mix in a bowl

Massaman Curry hails from south of Thailand, a little different from typical red and green curry. It is influenced from the Indian cuisine because of the spices it contains such as cloves, nutmeg etc. At the same time it is Thai because it contains the lemongrass and galangal.

I use a tablespoon or two of this homemade Thai Massaman Curry Spice Mix in my chicken rice noodles recipe, recipe link updated. My daughter is always asking me to make it, she loves it so much.

The spices are roasted and then ground together on a mortar and pastel. A more traditional recipe contains shrimp paste, galangal and Thai chili. However, we don't do the traditional on this blog 😉


Substitutions

  • Since we cannot have shrimp because of allergies, I simply did not use the shrimp paste.
  • For Galangal, I just used ginger powder which is more readily available. However, there is no reason you cannot.
  • Instead of the Thai red chilies I used dried red button chilies.
  • Also because I wanted to keep the spice mix longer than a week and use it as and when I needed, I used dried ingredients instead of fresh to pake a powder instead of a paste.
Plate it Safe Icon

Learn more about the Plate it Safe initiative and what the icons in the recipe stand for.

  • 10 mins
  • Makes 1 cup
  • Easy

Ingredients

Adjust Amount:
Whole Spices
6 green cardamom pods
6 whole cloves
2 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon cumin seed
4 dried red button chilies
1 tablespoon black peppercorn
2 tablespoons dried lemongrass
Ground Spices
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mace
1 teaspoon salt
Equipment
coffee grinder

Nutritional information

0g
Protein
1g
Carbs
0g
Fat
0g
Sugars
0g
Sat Fat
6k
Calories

Steps

1
Done
20 sec
logo for handwashing
Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
2
Done
5 min
Heat a pan on low to medium heat. Add the whole spices and roast until fragrant about three minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3
Done
1 min
  • toasted whole spices in a coffee grinder
  • Shrimp free spice powder mix grinded in a coffee grinder
Add the spices to a coffee grinder and grind the spices to your desired consistency.
4
Done
1 min
Now add all the spices in a jar (the ground spices and the ones in the coffee grinder together), close the lid and shake to mix. The spice mixture is ready to be used.
5
Done
20 sec
logo for handwashing
Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.

Cook Notes

  • Leave out the chilies for a mild spice mixture.
  • Mix all the spices in the coffee grinder.
  • Use fresh ginger, garlic and shallot to make a paste.



Pin for later

video of the spices being grinded in a coffee grinder

7 comments:

  1. I just made Massaman curry! It would be nice to have this recipe on hand when I can't find all the spices needed to make the paste. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe. I love Massaman curry and I can't wait to make this so that I have it on hand when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to make my own spice blends so that I know there are no hidden ingredients. Adding this one to my list. Love the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, how have I never used my coffee grinder for spices before? Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all those wonderful aromatic spices! If I were to use shrimp paste, how much would I need do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Massaman is one of my favourite curries. I ate it so much when we were in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadia - this sounds fantastic! I can't wait for the noodle recipe :)

    ReplyDelete